Monday, March 22, 2010

Favorite Warm Weather Snacks

In Arizona, we have already seemed to bypass spring and headed directly into summer! Due to the recent warm up, it really got me thinking about delicious, cool you off snacks that will hit the spot, but also help fulfill some daily nutritional requirements. Here are some of my family's favorites.

1. Frozen Fruit: Grapes and Blueberries are our favorites! Just wash and pop into the freezer for a yummy and healthy treat. I am surprised my 4 year old isn't blue from all of the frozen blueberries he eats!
*If you have very young children, these can be a choking hazard. Please take the proper precautions.

2. Healthy Popsicles: These can really be anything you dream up from a simple frozen orange juice to more elaborate concoctions like Apple-Beet-Carrot! Yum!
Go here for some ideas.

3. Stonyfield Farms Organic YoKids Squeezers. It is organic yogurt in a tube that has less sugar and icky stuff kids don't need than your average brands. At only 60 calories, kids will get a sweet treat with 10% of their calcium and Vitamin D needs! These are yummy just as they are or you can freeze them for an extra special treat.

4. All Fruit Smoothies: These are fun and easy to make at home, not to mention so much cheaper than buying at the specialty smoothie stores. Even better than saving money? You know exactly what's in it! Here's a link to one of our faves!

5. Cool dips: When the kids want something a little less sweet and more substantial, try serving homemade salsa and whole grain baked chips. Or try my white bean dip with homemade pita chips and a plateful of fresh cut veggies. It's full of flavor and fiber!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Yum! I am copying that white bean dip recipe. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the Bean Dip. My kids love to "dip" everything!
BTW - I just started a Cookbook Review site and I would love for you check it out - http://cookingupreviews.blogspot.com

Angie said...

You have not posted for awhile???
I have given you an award!
http://angieshealthylivingblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/versatile-blogger-award.html

Cindy Haskin-Popp said...

The frozen fruit suggestion is great. I always forget about that one. Thanks for reminding me. It will be a great snack to take on our pool outings.