Friday, July 24, 2009

Green Chili Chicken

Ok, so I was reviewing my most recent posts and I have discovered that I have been carrying on a love affair with Mexican-inspired cuisine! Well, I must add another item to the list and I know that you will just LOVE it. Not only is it healthy, but man is it versatile! The best part is that I used a crockpot, so once you do the 10 minutes work of prep, you can take your fabulous self out of the kitchen to do something so much more fun than preparing dinner.

2 lbs. chicken breast tenders, tendon removed
1 16 oz. jar of 505 Southwest green chili sauce(whichever heat you prefer, we used mild so Jack would eat it too)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Cup low sodium chicken stock
4 Tbs. olive oil, divided
1 Tbs. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
salt and pepper to taste

Brown chicken tenders in 2 Tbs. olive oil and add to crockpot. Then, saute onions and garlic in remaining olive oil and add in cumin and coriander to combine. Add the veggies to the crockpot and cover with 505 sauce and chicken stock. Stir to combine and set crockpot to low and let cook for 6-8 hours until the chicken shreds easily. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serving suggestions*:
-Use whole grain tortillas and make green chili burritos with all the fixings.
-Easy, flavorful quesadillas served with a side of pineapple with a squeeze of lime.
-Mexican Chicken Salad: Serve chicken on a bed of greens, cabbage, shredded carrots, whole pinto beans, tomatoes, avocado and ranch dressing mixed with salsa for a spicy change to your standard ranch.
-Tacos
-Enchilada filling

*You may want to strain off a bit of the liquid when using it with a tortilla for burritos, tacos or enchiladas. Or you could strain off the liquid and combine with a bit of cornstarch to thicken the sauce and recombine it.

Seriously, your family will think you are a genius for picking up take out, but you will know you are a genius for making this super simple and deliciously healthy chicken!

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Yum! I already copied this to my recipe file.

Does this mixture become kind of thick? I see you suggest burritos and quesadillas. Or does it remain more soupy and you drain the fluid to put it in burritos?

Tara said...

Sounds yummy but I've never heard of that chili sauce. Wonder if we have that brand here in NC?.?. I'll have to look for it!

The Mommy Chef said...

It is a bit soupy, but I just drain it for the burritos. Or you could probably thicken it a bit with a smidge of cornstarch to make a thicker sauce if you prefer. Very very tasty and makes a ton, so it is also super affordable!

Lori said...

Oh yummy this looks great, I am going to bookmark this.

Lim Family said...

I made it but added low fat sour cream and cheese to the crockpot so that I could not only thicken it up a little but also then just strain the chicken and put it right in a tortilla. YUMMY!

GreenChileAddict said...

This is just me being picky, but this is actually NEW Mexican, not Mexican! (They are very different foods, and give credit where local (Albuquerque, New Mexico) used- 505 Company!!

Great dish though!

(annnnnd, sorry, picky again, it's actually Chil"e" (chile). Chili is the stuff one would serve when it's cold, soupy-like with beans.) :)