Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What's for lunch?

Jack has always been a very good eater. I think most of this is luck, but the most important contributor to his being a good eater is the fact that we have always placed an emphasis on well rounded nutrition since we introduced solids to him. I think the key to success is to try try again when it comes to healthy food with children. Even now, my son will look at me and say, "I don't like that!" when I introduce something new...many times when he hasn't ever tried it. I will be honest, those words make me want to give up and just plop something I know he WILL eat on his plate and call it a day. Instead, I fake it! I plaster on a smile and a quick promise of how good it will be. If he tries it, its a success, even if he doesn't take a second bite. I keep presenting a variety of healthy foods to him everyday. He definitely has his favorites, but the field is getting broader all the time. Since I am able to be home with him during the day, I try to involve him as much as I can in the meal process, especially at lunch time. I usually give him a choice as to what "we" will have and then let him help by washing fruit or lettuce,measuring the grains, etc. It's a long, arduous process, but it will pay off eventually. So, why am I babbling about all of this??

This what Jack chose for lunch today: grilled chicken, brown rice, romaine salad and a berry medley. And...he asked for seconds!

No comments: