Friday, December 26, 2008

Zucchini!

Well, this past week I picked up a HUGE organic produce basket from the co-op. I received 10(YES, 10!) beautiful blemish free zucchini. Since there is no way we can eat this many zucchini so quickly(or my family would probably go on strike), I decided we would eat some right away and then I would process the rest for freezing. I grated a couple of them along with a few carrots and put them in freezer bags to add to canned soup and to muffin or pancake batter later. I steamed and pureed a couple more to add to pizza sauce for pita pizza as well. The rest I will incorporate into frittatas for breakfast and my son's favorite, breaded zucchini chunks. Zucchini are a great source of vitamins A and C and they taste great.

Breaded Zucchini chunks
2 zucchini, 1/2 in cubes
3/4 c. low fat italian dressing(I just used the bottled kind to save time)
1 C. bread crumbs, italian style
1/2 c. freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
salt and pepper

Heat oven to 350. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Mix bread crumbs, salt and pepper and cheese in a bowl. Add zucchini chunks in small batches to the italian dressing and then roll in the bread crumbs mixture. Set on the baking sheet in a single layer and lightly spray with the cooking spray. Let bake at 350 for about 20 min or until they are fork tender and lightly browned! SO yummy! I serve these with homemade chicken fingers and sweet potatoes. Serves 4.

No comments: