Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tip of the Week: Something New

One of the funniest parts of my trips to the grocery store is check out time. I unload my cart and invariably the cashier has to ask me what different things are from time to time....turnips, parsnips, kale, etc. Then it is usually followed by, "I don't like that!" I always respond, "but you just said you didn't even know what it was. So, how do you know you don't like it?" People just giggle! I know times are tough economically, so you are probably saying that you don't want to try too many new things for fear you won't like it and it will go to waste. I can understand that. However, I know most of you frequenting the site are interested in finding creative ways to feed your children(families) healthy meals. One way to ensure the health of your family is to give them a variety of different fruits, veggies, grains, etc. so that they get many different kinds of nutrients. When my son and I go to the grocery store, we try to pick out something we don't eat very often or have never had 1-2X a month and try it. Sometimes it doesn't go well, but other times we have discovered new favorites like kale. Believe it or not, it is SO delicious in soups! Even my 2 year old eats it! So, give it a go! Even if trying something new for you means buying a healthier version of a family favorite, just do it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We've become stirfry fanatics since discovering bok choy! And kale and bean soup is delicious!