Sunday, November 30, 2008

Avocados

When I was a child growing up in California, my parents gardened. We had fruit trees, veggies, and my favorite, avocado trees. I remember sitting under those trees with a knife, spoon and salt and pepper shakers eating avocados to my hearts content. Now I continue to eat them nearly daily for not only the delicious taste and versatility, but for the health benefit. My son is a big avocado lover as well and he will eat it on just about anything. One morning, I was nearly out of groceries(I had missed my regular shopping day) and I had to figure out what to give my son that was healthy, but tasty enough that a 2 year old couldn't resist it. Avocado toast is what I came up with and it has been a staple ever since. Avocados are an amazing fruit, yes that's right, a fruit! A lot of people dismiss the avocado because it is high in fat, but that is the wrong idea. Avocados have loads of oleic acid which helps to lower bad cholesterol. It also has lots of potassium, Vit K, fiber, B6, folate and cancer fighting properties. Pair it with some ezekiel bread and you have a perfect combination.

1 Avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
4 Slices Ezekiel bread, toasted
salt and pepper

Mash the avocado chunks until fairly smooth and easy to spread. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread on toast as you would butter or jam. Enjoy! Serves 4.

The avocado is so versatile. We eat them on toast, in salads, on sandwiches, as well as, the usual suspects of tacos, fajitas,egg burritos etc. We even love them plain with a little salt and pepper. If your family enjoys guacamole, try trading in your tortilla chips for some homemade whole wheat pita chips and dig in. Be creative and eat your avocados!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I eat this ALL the time-- so funny that you "discovered" it, too! We use a wee bit of garlic salt, and some butter on the toast. Sometimes with cheese, sometimes tomatoes... mmm! We even use Ezekiel bread!

Your blog is lovely!